Choice Properties have a variety of homes to rent throughout Jersey.
Our site contains a constantly updated register of rental property. CLICK HERE to see our latest list. For more detailed information or appointments to view please contact us on 620620.
Please keep in mind that a range of checks on all prospective Tenants will be carried out and we will require at least one full month’s rent as a deposit and one month’s rent paid in advance. Should you be uncertain as to your suitability or have specific requirements, please contact us.
Although Letting Agents have different procedures, this guide is intended as a general overview to assist you when renting a property. We have set out below a few significant pointers to assist you.
Once we have found your suitable property, you will be in a position to make an offer to the Landlord for consideration. Please note that any offer you make would be subject to you fulfilling our reference criteria.
AGREEING THE LET
As soon as your offer has been accepted by the Landlord, we will apply for references and draw up the relevant documentation which will form the basis of the agreement between you and the Landlord.
You will be expected to provide:
• Photographic ID (i.e. Drivers License or Passport)
• Proof of address (Utility bill - Less than 3 months old)
• Registration Card - This can be obtained by Social Security
You will be required to provide references:
• From your employer
• Previous Landlord (if you are in rental accommodation already) or
. Personal Reference
Choice Properties also carry out a credit check.
An appointment will be arranged with you to visit our offices to sign the Lease Agreement when all references have been received. The Landlord will also be asked to sign their copy of the document.
Please note that a Tenant cannot take occupation without first obtaining a Registration Card from Social Security.
RENT AND DEPOSIT
You will be required to provide the agreed sum of rent and deposit before taking possession of the property.
The deposit is required for the full tenancy against loss, damage or charges payable at the termination of the tenancy. Whilst this is usually the equivalent of one month’s rent, this may vary, therefore we suggest that you check the actual amount before making an offer. The deposit will be held by MyDeposits Jersey, more information on this can be found HERE. It is returnable at the end of the tenancy subject to final inspection of the property and it should be noted that deductions will also be made for cleaning should the property (and garden areas) not have been left in a satisfactory condition. You will liaise with the Landlord over the final check.
Rent is to be paid monthly in advance commencing on the first day of the tenancy and then on the same day each month thereafter. The preferred method is by bank standing order.
There is no fee to the Tenant. The Landlord pays a fee to Choice Properties.
Company applications are acceptable where the company will be paying the rent. However the occupant still needs to have residency and will need to show their Registration Card.
Please note that all monies are to be paid on the signing of the agreement and prior to occupation.
INVENTORY OF CONTENTS & SCHEDULE OF CONDITION
We will prepare an Inventory of Contents and a Schedule of Condition to be attached to the lease. We will also provide photographs for your reference.
All information is provided in good faith. It does not replace the advice of a qualified legal advisor. We will accept no responsibility for any inaccuracies.
OTHER POINTS OF INTEREST:
1. The Tenant will be responsible for insuring their own possessions
2. The Tenant will take over all utilities such as Gas, Electricity, Water/Sewage charges, Parish Occupier Rates & Telephone upon moving into the property and will be responsible for contacting the relevant suppliers accordingly prior to commencement of the tenancy.
3. Should you wish to quit your tenancy earlier than the agreed term, you will be liable for all rent until the end of the agreed tenancy. You may be allowed to assign the lease, however you would be liable to pay any costs or agents’ fees associated with finding a new Tenant.
4. The Letting Agent will deal with the property viewings, references and agreements. If the agent has been instructed to manage the property then you will normally report any repairs or queries to them. If not, then you will deal directly with the Landlord.